A few months ago I wrote a post about my Life List. Some people call it a Bucket List but that kind of always makes me think of dying so I prefer to call it a Life List. I recently had the opportunity to cross two things off my Life List so I wanted to share those experiences with you and then I’m going to add 10 more items to my list.
Here’s a reminder of the first 10 things on my list (keep in mind, a Life List is a very personal thing so one can change, add or delete at one’s whim. There are no rules.).
- Visit Frida and Diego’s Casa Azul in Mexico City
- Take an art course in Florence
- Have a home with a view and gigantic windows
- Take a road trip across America
- Learn to flamenco dance and perform
- Go to Artfest in Port Townsend, Washington
- Live in NYC for a while
Attend an opera
- Have a feature written about my work in a cool art mag
- Host an outdoor dinner party like the one in the movie “Chocolat”
Last Saturday night, my hubby took me to a production of “La Boheme” at the LA Opera. I had never been to the opera before and at the risk of sounding a little silly, it was actually the movie “Moonstruck” that first got me interested in opera. I remember seeing it in high school and the scene where Cher’s character Loretta gets herself “beautified” and attends the opera at The Met with Nicholas Cage’s Ronnie is my absolute favorite. Here’s a clip:
I guess I filed “going to the opera” away as a very fabulous and dignified thing to do. But the reality is, it was fun. And entertaining. And so, so movingly wonderful. The talent we witnessed all in one room from the singers and the orchestra was overwhelming. Live entertainment of any kind is my favorite way to spend time. It’s a unique experience that you share with the performers, the musicians and the other audience members. It was such a wonderful evening. The voices just lifted me away to a dream. Truly.
Finally crossing something off my list got me inspired to get my list going again so I am going to share with you the next 10 things I’ve added so far. Some of these are a little wild, but if you’re gonna dream, might as well dream big, right?
- Take a vacation by train in the US
Learn to play the drums
- Speak in front of a large audience
- Teach a class (not sure exactly what, maybe art, but then again maybe not)
- Vacation in a secluded hut on a beach in Thailand
- Get a bunch of girls together and spend a week at Miraval Spa in Tucson
- Live in an adobe hacienda in Santa Fe and paint all day
- Climb Machu Picchu
- Attend Carnivale in Rio
- Meet Oprah (not in a ‘fan’ kind of way, in a ‘friend’ kind of way, I’m very specific about this! [hey, I said I was dreaming big])
You’ll notice that “Learn to play the drums” is crossed off.
Well I don’t know if I officially “learned” to play but I did have a drum lesson yesterday. I had mentioned to my son’s music teacher that I always wanted to learn how to play the drums and so he talked me into a little lesson.
Okay folks, can I just tell you that that was probably the most fun I’ve had in a long time. I LOVED IT. Sure, there was a part of me that was thinking “I’m 42 years old, why do I need to learn the drums?” but then my inner wild child put her hands on her hips and said “Who needs a reason??”
Okay, admittedly, I only had one 30 minute lesson and it’s much harder than it looks, but overall, I got a serious drum fever! It was awesome. Watch out, I think I might need to learn more and then my inner wild child can join a band and hit the road!
Have you started your Life List yet?