My daughter’s current obsession is the movie The Sound of Music. She watches it over and over. She thinks she’s one of the Von Trapp kids and acts out all the scenes. The lyrics to every single song have been on constant rotation in my head for weeks.
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens are not necessarily my favorite things but it has definitely gotten me thinking: what ARE my favorite things? I haven’t had a dog bite or a bee sting lately but every so often I have one of those days when I just can’t seem to shake the blues. Those blah days when nothing is really wrong but somehow life just seems a little overwhelming. It really does help to focus on the small joys, to take that extra moment to appreciate the good stuff.
So I thought it would be fun to compile a list of my favorite things and share it with you.
These Are A Few of My Favorite Things
- That first sip of coffee on a quiet morning.
- My son’s freckles.
- A new pair of shoes.
- That feeling right after a long run.
- Having a beach day with family and friends.
- The movie “Vicki Christina Barcelona”
- My daughter’s funny personality.
- Taking a great photograph.
- The feeling of my paintbrush against canvas.
- Buying art supplies.
- A massage.
- Sitting in my bed, under the covers and watching a movie on my laptop.
- When my husband dances in the living room to try and make me laugh.
- Aquaphor ointment for my lips. Every. Single. Night.
- The color green.
- Coconut. In all forms.
- Long phone conversations with my best friends about absolutely nothing and absolutely everything.
- Wearing red lipstick.
- Going to the movies alone.
- The Pirates of the Caribbean (the ride at Disneyland, not the movie).
- Writing in my journal.
- A hot bubble bath on a chilly afternoon.
- Making dinner for friends and family and having great conversation around the table.
- Nars blush in “Orgasm”.
- When my husband pours me a glass of wine after a long day and we talk while I make dinner.
- Play dates that are fun for the kids but even more fun for me and my favorite Mom friends.
- That moment when you connect with someone on a really deep and intimate level.
- Poetry. Reading it and writing it.
- Quoting “Pulp Fiction” “… I don’t dig on swine…” and “Jerry Maguire” “…these fish have manners…”
- Art. In every way possible.
- When all my siblings are together which is not that often anymore.
- Looking at old photos.
- John Travolta in “Urban Cowboy” and “Saturday Night Fever”.
- Reconnecting with old friends.
- Going to new restaurants.
- Flipping channels late at night and catching an old favorite movie.
- Frida Kahlo. Her life, her style and her work.
- Finding new music that I love and listening to it over and over until it’s part of my soul.
- When the lights go down at a play, a concert or the opera.
- Hot dogs at baseball games.
- Sitting in my back yard reading a book.
- Belly laughter. The kind where you can’t catch your breath and you have tears rolling down your cheeks.
- Turquoise jewelry.
- Waking up with one of our kids in our bed.
Wow, I feel like I could really go on forever. When you start to think about the things you love, you realize just how much you have to be grateful for in this life. It’s fun, you should try it. What are some of your favorite things? I’d love to hear about them in the comments.